Sunday 17 March 2013

Driven Series Interview: Rebecca from Mode Talent Agency

These days, a lot of young, driven and passionate women like myself, are taking on the business world head first. Through this blog, I hope to showcase some of these amazing women working in a range of fields. I recently got to ask a few questions of one of those women; Rebecca Field from Mode Talent Agency.
 
I had the pleasure of working with Rebecca for one of Dat Girl's earliest shoots and I always welcome her critique, imput and feedback as a fellow business woman. She is young, focused, always running a million miles a minute, so sweet, intelligent and gorgeous to boot!
 
I wish her and Mode Talent Management nothing but success.
 
 
 
The Interview
 
How old are you?
 
25
 

What is your current position?
 

 

Tell me about Mode Talent Management...
 
Mode Talent Management is a Melbourne based modelling and Talent agency. Mode's focus is mainly on advertising, commercial, televsion & film work. We represent a diverse range of commercial & fashion models for photographic assignments including print, catalogue, magazine, advertisements and all other forms of media. We also represent actors, dancers, hosts & singers to a wide range of clients within the advertising, fashion, film & event management industry.

 

Why did you start Mode Talent Management?
 
I have always had a love for the industry. Mode became about because of my pure passion and a love for what I had grown up doing as a model, dancer & actress. I started dancing at the age of 3 and fell into commercial modelling in my late teens. Because I grew up in the industry I am very aware of client and industry expectations. I was lucky enough to have the right look for a number of small roles so I decided I would do some form of acting training which lead to main roles in TVCs. I did this all through a full time 5 year Bachelor of Health Science – Naturopathy university degree. Whilst I was studying full time, practicing in clinic as well as writing a thesis, I was also part of a successful dance team. Throughout this time I never cut down on my acting or modelling work. It has always only seemed natural to me that I could do everything I wanted all at the one time. I learnt about sacrifice & this approach to life in general taught me to be extremely festidious in my organization of my weekly schedule.
Once I had completed my degree, I gained full time employment immediately within my field. But I started to realise that I didn’t have the ability to self manage myself and my time as I had in the past. I found myself thinking about the work I was missing out on rather than the work I was doing, but it was also through this time I started to truly consider my ideas I had in the past of starting something of my own. The idea of starting my own management company from every industry that I had experience in was consuming my mind, and I listened very carefully to my gut instincts. I gave the notice in my full time employment and started to create Mode on that very day. I actually didnt tell a soul what I had done until Mode was completed, and I officially started Mode Talent Management 3 weeks later.
Directing Mode Talent is the lifestyle I am familiar with & it was a choice. I love my job and I love that I can bring happiness to my talent on my books as well as my clients. Following my passion has only given me more determination to succeed in every sense of the word. I wake up every day excited to put my time and energy into something that produces positive feelings back.
 
 
What are your goals for the agency?
 
 From day one I knew where I wanted Mode to stand within the industry. I wanted to be an agency with a positive outlook, that is fun, approachable and easy to work with. Very simple. Our talent reflect this attitude also. One goal that we have is to build on the name that we have already established in Melbourne and grow our interstate clientel.

 

What makes Mode different to other Talent agencies?
 
 I dont like to compare Mode with other agencies as I made a solid decision that I would create Mode on my own foundations and not look into what any others are doing. However, Mode is an agency with a diverse range of talent and models, of all ages, sizes, shapes and ethnicities. All with great attitudes and a high level of professionalism. I know my talent very well as I have worked along side most of them. Another point of difference could also be due to my hands on experience in the industry. I am able to cast talent very well and I am very understanding of client requirements. I would also like to credit myself as being a great boss!

 

What do you think is the hardest thing for young people about working in the fashion/talent industry?
 
Being a model, actor, dancer and alike is not generally a full time profession but yet it does sometimes require full time availibility. It can be hard for young people starting out in the industry to realize this and juggle multiple jobs so that they can be available for castings/ auditions or last minute jobs.

 

What is the best thing about your job?
 
I am able to be passionate, creative and independant with how I run my own business. I am running a company that is reflective of my own values. In turn, I get to work alongside very creative individuals who love their jobs just as much as me, both the clients and talent. I get to provide appreciative talent with great work and oppourtnities, whilst at the same time I am able to produce a result for clients who are also incredibly appreciative of my organizational skills and the way the talent are managed and guided whilst working for them. In a nut shell, I get to make people happy!
 
 
What is the hardest thing about your job?
 
Time management. I am a self confessed work-a-holic.
 

 

What is a typical day in the life of Rebecca?
 
I will get up, make some porridge with berries then I will be in work mode for a sold few hours on the Mac Book Pro typing away like crazy... Then I will usually catch up with friends for a lovely dinner in the evening. More than likely I will duc out of the office during the day for a meeting here and there.

 

What is your biggest guilty pleasure?
 
Chocolate
 
 
What are your 3 staple clothing items?
 
Honestly... It would be jeans, T shirts and flats.
 
 
What is your most current worn item in your closet right now?
 
A grey bonds Tshirt!

 

What is your MUST HAVE for the colder months?
 
A good quality real leather jacket. A have a couple of those.
 

What is a the perfect relaxation day for Rebecca?
 
Last December I took myself over to Bali and did a yoga and health retreat. That was amazing. But in general having a bit of a sleep in and a day of exercise is quite theraputic and relaxing.

 

Do you have any advice for other girls wanting to break in to the modelling industry?
 
Be natural! I am always asking for potential commercial and fashion models to send me clear smiling head shots with minimal make up. As an agent we need to see the canvas and I believe that women are much more attractive when they are natural and glowing with confidence. It is also very important to be down to earth and honest in this industry. A beautiful personality and attitude far outweighs any sort of "typical" physical beauty.         


No comments:

Post a Comment